Monday, November 12, 2012

Our Story

Hi friends! I am just starting this whole blogging thing, so please work with me on this ;-) Since I got a really late start on this I’m trying to backlog on all the important things I want Mason to be able to look back on if he chooses. Who am I kidding? Boys don’t really care about this but it’s nice to turn back time every once in a while. Here’s a little background on what our lives are like right now.

Mommy & Daddy’s love story:

Josh and I met about eight years ago at a Hickory Crawdads game on a Thirsty Thursday night. I was still in high school and Josh was just about to start his college/baseball career at Lenoir Rhyne. We always kept hearing about the other person through Aunt Sarah & Uncle Tracy who were very good friends at Appalachian State University. All of their friends kept telling us that we would be perfect for each other, get married and have “super babies” that would come out throwing bullets with their super-arm (FAPOWW)! We both thought each other were cute but nothing came out of it until Josh’s last year playing ball at Lenoir Rhyne and we decided to start hanging out. Let’s just say blame your dad it wasn't good timing. Long story short, we finally got back together a year and a half later at an ASU Homecoming game and the rest is history. Yes, it’s cliché and mushy, but your father is my other half and my very best friend. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without him (literally). ;-))

Our friends turned out to be right; we are perfect for each other and got engaged on Cinco de Mayo May 5, 2011 (and we were both sober) and then married June 30, 2012 – probably the hottest day on record that year. We had a BLAST and have enjoyed getting closer this past year. Here’s a few of our favorite pics from our engagement and wedding day:
























We were just getting settled into married life when we went out to see Nick & Blair get married in Vegas! It was such a beautiful wedding. I think this is the first hint that I started thinking that I might be pregnant. Your dad swears that he had the same feeling because of the way I was always complaining about how terrible everything smelled and how I was eating like a linebacker inhaling food every few hours.

We had just gotten back home when we were given the unfortunate news that my 16 year old daughter dog and life time friend, Matilda Jean, was not doing so well. We knew this was coming but I still thought that we would have lots of time before we had to say goodbye to her. To say Mommy was inconsolable a mess is an understatement. Here are a few pics to see how great of a friend she was to us:






That night, I was talking to Granny on my way home from work when she made the comment, “well Kate, we know Maddie is in a better place right now. Who knows, she may have even left you behind a present to help you cope with this grief.” I knew what she was hinting at but I told her that I didn't think that was possible. Remember Mason, Granny is always right. I got spooked and stopped by to get a pregnancy test because I couldn't remember when my last period was. I hadn't even gotten done peeing on the stick when the line showed up. My first thought was, “aren't you supposed to wait 30 seconds or something?” Apparently not. Now, I haven’t had any a lot experiences with a pregnancy test and I thought maybe I ate something that could trick the test into thinking I was pregnant. I didn't tell your Dad that night but waited again to take another test in the morning. Both were positive. I text Josh to see when he was coming home for lunch because I had to talk to him about something. His response? “You’re pregnant.” How romantic. Later that night, Daddy had a meltdown.

Don’t get us wrong, Mason. We are beyond excited for you to come. It was just a little shocking to us because we weren't expecting this. God threw us a curve ball and boy did it have some break on it. This just goes to show that only God knows our plans and He won’t put anything on our plates that we can’t handle and birth control is not 100% effective.

That Thursday we went to the doctor for our confirmation appointment. The nurse came back to us and said, “wow, we usually only see these results with twins.” Not okay ma’am, and do NOT tell my husband that. Of course, she did as soon as she walked in the room. I thought we might have a “man down” or were going to face another Daddy meltdown. Turns out, there was only one in there ;-) When we got in the room to see the doctor he told us that we had to narrow down a time period of when we thought he was conceived in order to see if we were far enough along to get an ultra sound. Well, that was a problem because we seriously had NO idea and I take my birth control religiously at the same time every.single.day. The only thing that we could think of was the middle of October I was sick and was taking antibiotics. Come to find out it was before that on September 28. WHAT? I was floored at which I expressed my confusion with "that can't be right. We're married, we only do it on special occasions. There was nothing in the calendar that day!" I received an impressive glare from my husband for that!

But we got an ultra sound and here is your very first pic, Mason:



So Mason, here is our journey. No, we weren't expecting you. Yes, you were an accident. BUT we cannot wait until you come. We are counting down the days! Words cannot express how much we love you already! And no matter what Daddy says, if you don’t like baseball… We will find a way to accept that ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment