Sunday, July 7, 2013

Penisis or Penai

If you’re having a little boy, you will have to make the decision on whether or not you are going to have him circumcised. We personally decided that we wanted this done. I’ve heard some hospitals suggest that you have a urologist do this a week after you leave the hospital because the baby is often sleepy and will want to sleep all day which means they won’t eat as much and may drop weight. However, we decided that we were going to do it while we were in the hospital. It turns out that the same doctor that did M’s is one of the most sought out urologist’s in Charlotte so we felt like M was in good hands.

The nurse told us beforehand that there are two different types of surgeries but that the doctor will let us know which one he will do before they do it. Come to find out, depending on what type of penis your child has will depend on the type of surgery. Who knew that there were different types of wieners??? This lead to the discussion between my husband and me about what was the plural of penis? Is it penises or penai? (Keep in mind, all of this was in front of the nurse who probably thinks that we’re nuts.) We looked it up. Plural penis is penises.

Like I said before, they did not give us an option of which kind of surgery that we wanted because it all depends on the type of wiener your child has. I tried to look up the different type of wieners but couldn’t find a reliable source to tell me about it (sigh). But I can go over the different procedures.

Type 1 – Cutting the Foreskin
The first type has been around for years. This type is where they cut the foreskin off of the tip. This procedure lasts about 30 minutes.

Type 2 – The Ring
Basically, they place this little plastic ring around the tip and it’s supposed to fall off in the following 7-10 days. This procedure lasts about 15 minutes max.

Dr. Perez comes in and tells us that M has the type of wiener where you could have either type of surgery and we get to pick which surgery we wanted. This translates to my husband who proceeds to throw up his hands and say, “I knew it, he has the perfect penis.” In front of the doctor. (SIGH)

If any of you know me, decisions are not my thing. I stress out to the max when it comes to making important decisions. Which one is better? What type is more common? What is the least maintenance? What one will guarantee that I won’t mess up and in turn my son won’t have a messed up penis in which he will hate me forever for????

The doctor was very patient and understanding with me on this. He said that Type 1 (Cutting the Foreskin) requires us to put Vaseline around the tip for the next week. If it gets swollen then we’ll have to pull the skin down and put Vaseline in it. Meanwhile, you don’t do anything with the ring until the day it falls off. After the ring falls off all you have to do is put Vaseline around the tip for the next 24 hours. We decided that we were going to go with the ring because it seemed less stressful for me.

The surgery went great and M was not really cranky after that.



No comments:

Post a Comment