Tuesday, December 17, 2013

5 Months Old

Yes, I am well aware that this is coming 2 weeks too late! I'm going to make this one quick!

Our little boy has gotten SO BIG so quickly! I'm going to need for him to stop growing up so fast. Seriously, you blink and it's gone. Here's some updates from how he's progressing.

Weight/Length: I have no idea on this. We don't go back until our 6 month check up. I can tell you that home boy is HUGE though! He's already started wearing 6-9 month clothing because he's so tall.

Sleep: We are SUPER blessed on this. We aren't really sticklers on a strict nap schedule during the day so he usually naps whenever he wants to. Sometimes he'll nap during late morning, sometimes it's early afternoon. We usually let him decide. Someone asked me on how I felt about routines/schedules the other day and it really made me think about it. We live by a nighttime routine. I'm not sure if it's for M or more for us. I'd like to think that bath time then reading books lets him know that it's time to go to bed but I'm sure if we skipped one or the other he wouldn't be affected by it. I know a lot of people that depend on schedules throughout the day that work out really well for their children and I fought really hard for this. After all, I love schedules. I work better when I am on a schedule. It comforts me. I've also read that having structure to their day is comforting to toddlers/children. I really wanted him in a routine for nap time and bed time. Every child and parent I know that are on schedules live by them and I was determined that it was best for us. But then reality set in and I learned that maybe this is not what is best for our family or our child. In the big picture, Josh and I have very different schedules that change every day. Our weekends may be in the middle of the week. Those "weekends" are filled with us going 3473829473 different directions, that it is impossible (and trust me, I do not use this word lightly) to stick to a schedule. Because of this, it works out better for us because M is very flexible and adapts to change while we aren't restricted to a schedule. Now, I will say he kind of fell into a bed time schedule. I think this is partly because he takes short naps throughout the day or doesn't take one at all. Every night at 7:00 pm, home boy is exhausted! So depending on how tired/cranky he is, we start getting ready for bed around 7:00 or sometimes earlier. Like I said earlier, we do bath time (most nights), books, then bed and it works out great. I am also glad that he is really good about self-soothing/being in his crib. Once he's put to bed, he'll talk himself to sleep which usually takes about 5 minutes. From then he will sleep until 4:30-5:30 the next morning. After a morning bottle, I can put him back down and he'll sleep until 8:00 - 8:30. Like I said, he's a great sleeper!

Feeding: We've been on formula for a while. He's eating on average 7 ounces every 3-4 hours. He usually goes longer stretches between meals in the morning and on average every 3 hours in the afternoons. We are eating a whole bowl of cereal in the morning. He's starting to get a hang of the spoon now and doesn't make as big of a mess. Or maybe that was just the person feeding him! Next week we are going to start on our vegetables. We're going to try making his food, we'll see how long that lasts!

Firsts this month: He has been rolling on both sides a little more consistently now. He is also starting to sit up for long stretches of time.  He is able to stand on his own while leaning against things. For instance, he will hold onto your hands or the table and stand up for long periods of time. Such a big boy!!

Developments: He's grasping his toys a lot better now. He's more active in wanting to be sitting up to see things instead of laying down all the time. I'm pretty sure he's teething because he's been drooling buckets and everything he gets goes straight in his mouth.

Likes: bath, pooping, waking up, sleeping, eating, looking at a bottle (any bottle really), his playmat, grasping toys, pulling hair, talking, squawking, jumping in his jumparoo thingy, bumbo, crinkly objects, music, being naked (which is good since he's always pooping himself and is mostly naked), pacifier, chewing, drooling, looking at Mommy or Daddy, smiling, laughing, Ms. Dawn, Jenna, Jayda, Collier, Mi Mi

Dislikes: being hungry; He really doesn't have a lot of these. I will say that sometimes he just wants to be left alone. If you're holding him or if you're near him, he'll throw a tantrum and it's because he wants to go to sleep but he doesn't want you to hold him or touch him. He's a diva. He gets it from his father, I say! For the most part, he's a really great kid and loves life!

What I'm thankful for: I'm thankful that God didn't listen to me when we said we didn't want children. M has been the best thing that has ever happened to us. He has brought so much light into our world. He is the best of both of us. He reminds us every day to be silly, not to take life so seriously, that we are needed, and that we are loved. I can't thank God enough for him. And I know I say this all the time, but I am also thankful for my husband. I know this isn't what we had planned but Josh has been so supportive and loves Mason as much as I do. He helps out around the house, with bath time, with everything. He doesn't judge me when I'm about to lose it, instead he just takes over. He is the best teammate I could ever have wished for and I could not do this without him. God has been so good to us! We are so very blessed!

What I'm looking forward to: I can't wait for M's first Christmas! I know he won't remember it and won't care but I am so excited!! Especially for all the pictures! Then coming up after that is M's baptism! So much room for activities!

Next Pediatricians appointment: Jan 7th

How Mommy's doing: Great. There are moments that I still struggle but I hear that's common. Tonight M was a little cranky and I felt like a failure because I got aggravated with him. I've been really tired but am so grateful to have such a wonderful hubby to take over! I'm trying not to put so much pressure on myself in dealing with this whole Mommy thing. Going back to the lack of schedules from above. I have an idea of how things are supposed to work when I know it's not necessarily what's best for M or for us. That's one of my goals to be better at finding out what does work for us and not living by certain expectations I have put on myself. On happier news, I tried on pants yesterday and fit into a size 6!!! The 6's fit and I didn't have to struggle with the zipper!! But that dang muffin top made me get an 8. Still counts though!!

Here are 789247392384 pics of M's 5 month photo shoot:











Hope everyone has a happy Hump Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment