Monday, February 10, 2014

Worst Mother of the Year

This morning started off great. I was having my first FULL class at work so we were heading out early so I could make sure there was plenty of time to finish setting up for my program. I was actually early in dropping off Mase at Ms. Dawns. How could this day go wrong???

Since I was so early, I stayed to talk to Ms. Dawn for a few minutes. This was where I went wrong. I should have just gone straight to work. Instead, I had to feel confident that nothing was going to happen and the day would run smoothly. WRONG. While I was talking to Dawn, I was rolling Mase over and over again in my arms. As I was rolling him over, I saw that his arm was about to get stuck behind his back. But before I could get his arm, he finished rolling over. During said "rollover" I heard a POP. As soon as I heard it I knew what had happened. I grabbed him up to face me and that's when it was confirmed. I dislocated his arm. When he was rolling, that pop was his arm coming out of his socket. His arm was now laying limp against his side. I tried to see if he could move it and he started screaming in pain. He couldn't move it at all. It was limp. Seriously, FREAKING OUT!! Ms. Dawn has actually seen this happen several times in the past with other children so she confirmed that it was definitely out of the socket. STILL FREAKING OUT!!! The normal thing would be to call the doctors, right? Well, of course! The only problem with that is I had left my phone at work the previous night. I quickly looked up the phone number online, called the doctor's office from Ms. Dawns phone, and got an appointment for an hour later. Meanwhile, M is crying and looking freaked out because he couldn't move his arm. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't helping at all because while I wasn't crying, I was on the verge of losing it at any moment.

Per the nurse's instructions, we got M settled with a bottle and tried keeping him comfortable. While he was eating, I decided to run back to work (about 5 minutes away) to call my boss and let Josh know what was going on. I'm glad that Josh didn't answer when I got there because I would have lost it at that point. When I got off the phone I noticed I had a couple of missed texts from Ms. Dawn. She said that he was fine! While having his bottle, she kind of put pressure on his arm and then set him down on the ground. He then rolled over and we're assuming popped it back in himself during that rollover because the next thing we knew he was up in the crawling position attempting to crawl. After calling and talking to Dawn and confirming that his arm was back to normal I called the nurse back. At this point there's nothing they can do if he's perfectly fine so it was pointless to keep my appointment. The nurse was like, "do you think you were overreacting?" No you idiot, his arm was dangling at his freaking side!! I told her that it was definitely dangling at his side and he was in pain when we tried to move it. She said that this type of injury is actually very common in infants and if his arm currently seems normal that means he must have popped it back in when rolling over. Who still feels like the worst mother in the world??? ME!!

Up until this point, I had only heard of one person that this has happened to. Their situation happened because they pulled the child up by the arms and it popped out. That's why you're never supposed to swing them by their arms or pull them up by the arms when they're infants. It did make me feel better that it is a very common injury but not so much that it didn't scare the crap out of me and I felt like the worst mother in the universe.

When I finally got in touch with Josh and filled him in, want to know his first reaction? Here is how our convo went:
Josh: "I have a serious question.... Which arm was it?" <-- (hinting at left or right. He's been obsessed with M being a lefty because we all know that lefty's make more $$$)
Me: "You're going to be mad..."
Josh: "Da#n it babe!"

Really??? It was my father's first reaction too, he just knew better than to ask that question!


Luckily, the rest of the day was a success. I had to give Mase extra snuggles to make him feel better. The next day we went to visit my newest nephew, Craft Robinson Baum or Squishy as I call him. Coming in hot at 9 lbs 5 ounces and 22 inches long. Home boy was HUGE! I was SO excited that we got to play with him. Here are some pics from our short time in Raleigh:





The next few are from Stephanie Aldridge Photography, if you are in the Raleigh area and you need photos, she is AWESOME!!




We didn't want to stay too long in Raleigh because we know that they were going to have tons of visitors so after spending some time up there we headed back down to stay the weekend in Hickory with Joshy's parents. Saturday morning Deb and I went to pick up Mase some new jeans since he has grown out of all his other ones. Here's a couple of pics from our day:

Snuggles with the birthday boy. He will never admit it openly, but Joshy loves it when his little guy falls asleep on him! 


Mase with cousin Mackenzie 


Saturday was Joshy's bday so we decided to go out with some friends to celebrate. We love our little guy to pieces but we also like some adult time as well! Here are a couple of pics from our night out with Jenny G, Tom, Erica, and Bekah: 

 

Joshy with Beky & Jenny

LOVE my Erica!



The next morning we got up to visit a little while longer before meeting up for lunch with Aunt Beky, Aunt Jenny, & Uncle Tom: 


Mase with Aunt Beky


We had a BLAST this weekend! Even though we got off to a rough start, it ended up being great. Here are some other things that have been going on lately:

Ready for our snow day!






This was Mase helping Mommy pack. Which really meant that he was pulling down my entire closet!

"Hey Mommy!"

"Share the covers, Daddy!"

Ready for my snow day!! 



I hope everyone has a fun and safe snow day!! We'll be back soon with the 7 Month Update!

No comments:

Post a Comment