Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Camel Has a Cold

Okay, I have them back to back today. Lots of catching up to do and I wanted to make sure I did it today since the last book of the Divergent series (Allegiant) came out today and I canNOT wait to get this done to read it. Nerdy? Yes.

Wednesday morning (of last week) Joshy dropped off Tracy at the airport to go back home If you don’t know this, Tracy lives in an enchanted place called Never Never Land with Peter  Pan and Buddy Washington State. We joke about calling it Never Never Land due to the fact that during our stay in Hickory, everyone wanted to talk to Tracy about Washington. Seriously. When they would talk to one of us they would ask (almost every time), “Now which one of you lives in Washington?” It was very funny because they talked about it like it was some enchanted place of make believe. Even when they got to us, Charlotte was made out like it was hours away when in reality it is only 45 minutes. Ha!

While Josh was leaving to take Tracy, M woke up for his usual morning feeding. M had started getting the sniffles and coughing some on Tuesday but I didn’t really think anything about it. When my little booger woke up that Wednesday morning I noticed that he felt warm. Sure enough, he was running a low grade fever. I was contemplating taking him to the doctor or not because I wasn’t sure if his fever was due to him cutting teeth (at least this is what we’re thinking he’s doing since he has been drooling buckets for the past week or so). I usually don’t like going to the doctor a lot but since I’m a rookie at this I decided we would go. We went back to sleep for an hour or so until the doctor’s office opened up when I could call. 

Fortunately, they had an appointment in 45 minutes so I packed everything up and we booked it over there.
Like anywhere we go, it was an adventure. I got there exactly at 8:45 am on the dot (for those of you that know me, if I am on time – ESPECIALLY for a last minute appointment – it is a miracle). They called us back and we went in to get his weight first. After weight, the nice nurse lady came to check his temperature. As you know, for infants you have to check it from the pooper (that’s right, I said pooper). The lady had me take off his diaper and I held the diaper over his wiener area just in case he wanted to get sneaky and try to give us a golden shower. Thank goodness for Mommy because he definitely tried it and ended up peeing all over the table. Mommy – 1; Mason – 0. From there the nurse was going to send the doctor in to talk to us. 

We usually see Dr. Smolen (male) but since this was a last minute appointment we were seeing a lady this time. While Dr. Anne was checking M over, he decided that this was a prime opportunity to show his latest camel-like tendencies. How is he a camel you might ask? Homeboy will hold his drool in his mouth for a while and then spit it out like a camel. When he spits said drool out he gets pretty good range, too! We’re not talking a little bit, we’re talking at least a teaspoon or more of drool. Awesome. So here we are in the room and Camel Boy decides to show his new party trick. Dead silence reigns. I start this awkward giggle because now Dr. A knows that my kid is part camel and she is looking at him with pure disgust. I try to explain this to her and she just stares at him like he’s gross. Obv someone has been in Ballantyne for too long!! You’re a pediatrician, I’m pretty positive you’ve seen grosser things than this! After a good minute, I’m able to get her to refocus on the problem at hand. His results? He has a cold. What to do? Nothing. All we can give him is saline spray. As soon as we found the results I couldn’t get Camel Boy out of the office quick enough. So then we went on another adventure for these saline drops that they make instead of the saline spray because it’s a little easier. But the pharmacies hate me I couldn’t find them at any of the four places I went to. So now we’re having to spray up his nose several times a day. He doesn’t exactly hate it, he just kind of jumps.

It seems like his congestion and cough is breaking up but he sounds SO pitiful. Apart from yesterday, he hasn’t been too cranky so we really can’t complain. I just feel so bad for him because he wakes himself up during the middle of the night due to a cough attack. I called again yesterday to see if I could give him any children’s medicine (Little Remedies or Children’s Tylenol) to help his cough but they said there isn’t anything out there that he could take. Instead, we’ll just have to be miserable L

This past Friday night was Pineville’s Fall Festival. M wasn’t feeling too bad so we decided to meet up with Uncle TJ & Aunt Kim Kim to try it out. Mi Mi and Paw Paw joined us as well and we had a blast! I have lived in or near Pineville all my life and have never gone to one of these. I was so impressed and can’t wait until we have the next one!

Montana & Peyt



KRISPY KREME BURGERS!!! YESSSSS!!!







Recognize this outfit? Well it's the only one I can fit into so get over it ;-)




Saturday we were supposed to go to WCU for a football game and visit with Aunt Syd but we just couldn’t do that to M. He was still not feeling the best and we thought that a car ride that long both ways with him already being a tad grumpy was just not a good idea. As sad as we were, it turned out to be a really nice day to just relax. I felt like we haven’t been able to just hang out in forever so it was great to not have any plans. I had 238947238957 things that I needed to get done but didn’t do any of them. Whoops!


I think that catches us up for the moment. Whew! Now here are some photo updates, starting with my absolute FAVORITE video of Joshy and M: 

I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for my husband. He helps us out every single day and is the most patient and supportive person I know. This video is one of the many reasons that I fall in love with him over and over again every single day. I love you Joshy!




Multi-tasking with Paw Paw

There's our cranky Camel!




Ms. Dawn took him and Collier to the Pumpkin patch. They had so much fun!

Mase's little pumpkin from Ms. Dawn! 

And lastly, it bring me much joy to say that I received this text from Joshy yesterday at work:



No comments:

Post a Comment